The holiday season is a time for celebration, gratitude, and shopping, with Thanksgiving serving as the appetizer to the grand feast of Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and the entire holiday shopping spree. For ecommerce sellers, Thanksgiving is an opportunity to serve up irresistible deals and grow your business ahead of the most important season in the fiscal calendar. In this article, we’ll explore why you should double-down on an extra helping of Thanksgiving-focused campaigns and best practices to boost your growth.
Thanksgiving Statistics — A Feast of Opportunities
Before we dive into the best practices, let’s take a look at why Thanksgiving can be so valuable for sellers ahead of the holiday season:
Rising Online Shopping Trends: According to Statista, ecommerce sales during Thanksgiving weekend in 2021 amounted to a staggering $29.65 billion in the United States alone. This figure demonstrates the growing popularity of online shopping during the Thanksgiving holiday.
Thanksgiving and Black Friday Integration: Thanksgiving and Black Friday have become increasingly intertwined. Many retailers now offer Thanksgiving Day deals that run through the weekend, creating a seamless shopping experience for consumers and extending the sales window for ecommerce businesses.
Gift Shopping Begins: Thanksgiving marks the unofficial start of the holiday gift shopping season. Shoppers are on the lookout for great deals on items that make for perfect gifts, making it an ideal time for ecommerce sellers to attract new customers.
Why Thanksgiving is a Golden Opportunity for Ecommerce Sellers
As the unofficial start of the holiday shopping season, Thanksgiving can be leveraged correctly to encourage further shopping. Customers are actively looking for gifts and are more amenable to deals. Getting them early with Thanksgiving-branded campaigns allows you to tap into this motivated and engaged audience. This is especially helpful in extending the shopping window for customers and creating more sales opportunities for you.
Every campaign you employ is an opportunity to grow your audience. However, those you choose not to run create openings for your competitors to eke out your market share. Starting efforts early with a Thanksgiving campaign can help you attract new customers, boost your sales ahead of the holiday season, and instill brand loyalty through exceptional service.
Best Practices for Ecommerce Sellers on Thanksgiving
Looking to maximize your results for your new Thanksgiving campaigns? Adopt these best practices to see boosts:
- Early Bird Specials: Start your Thanksgiving deals early. Begin promoting your offers at least a week before Thanksgiving to build anticipation. This can help you stand out in the crowd and give potential customers a reason to look forward to your deals.
- Bundle Discounts: Create bundles or gift sets that offer a better value than individual purchases. Shoppers are often looking for convenience during the busy holiday season, and bundle deals can be highly attractive.
- Thanksgiving-themed Marketing: Tailor your marketing efforts to the Thanksgiving theme. Use Thanksgiving-related imagery, colors, and messaging in your emails, social media posts, and advertisements. This helps create a connection with the holiday spirit and can make your brand more relatable.
- Flash Sales and Limited-Time Offers: Encourage a sense of urgency with flash sales and limited-time offers. Limited quantities and countdown timers can drive impulse purchases.
- Email Marketing: Use email marketing to keep your customers informed about your Thanksgiving deals. Send out newsletters, exclusive offers, and sneak peeks to build excitement.
- Leverage Social Media: Utilize your social media platforms to their full potential. Run targeted ad campaigns on platforms like Facebook and Instagram to reach a wider audience. Engage with your followers by responding to comments and messages promptly.
- SEO Optimization: Ensure your website is optimized for search engines. Shoppers often start their buying journey with a Google search. Use relevant keywords and meta descriptions to increase your visibility.
- Mobile Optimization: With the growing number of mobile shoppers, it’s essential to have a mobile-friendly website. Ensure your website is responsive, loads quickly, and provides a seamless shopping experience on mobile devices.
- Free Shipping: Offer free shipping, or at least consider lowering the shipping costs during the Thanksgiving period. High shipping fees can deter potential buyers.
- Customer Support: Provide excellent customer support. Respond to inquiries and address any issues promptly. Positive interactions can lead to repeat business and referrals.
If you really want to up your game, let the leading optimization software do the work for you. Flywheel 2.0’s predictive AI pulls near-real-time data to update your ads and listings every single hour. Faster, more accurate, and always improving — Flywheel 2.0 is your secret to outpacing your competition throughout the year. Experience the difference with a no-risk, 30-day trial.